The Founding Partners
The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre owes its existence to the remarkable vision and commitment of the three founding partners: Mr. Irving K. Barber, the Province of BC, and The University of British Columbia. An example of true collaboration from its inception, the IKBLC represents what happens when passionate, engaged, and principled people combine their strengths to create something extraordinary.
All three partners continue to support the Learning Centre through strategic support and direct funding.
Important Financial Support
The Learning Centre recognizes the important contributions of its Donors:
- Kay and Lloyd Chapman, for their important contribution of the Chapman Learning Commons, the Centre’s focal point for student learning supports.
- Doctors Wally and Madeline Chung and their donation of the extraordinary Chung Collection, which is housed in the Learning Centre.
- The Sutherland Foundation, who generously supports our community engagement work, including donating to the costs of licensing the Gale Business Plans Handbook as part of the Small Business Accelerator Program.
- Suzanne Cates Dodson and Earl D. Dodson for their donation in creation of the Dodson Room.
Networks and Memberships
- The British Columbia Rural Network, including Learning Initiatives of British Columbia (LIRN BC)
- The Canadian Community Economic Development Network (CCEDnet)
We partner with a number of organizations, both on and off campus, to achieve the vision of the Learning Centre. Current partners include:
- BC Libraries Co-op
- Centre for Community Engaged Learning
Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (UBC)
- Continuing Studies (UBC)
- Entrepreneurship @UBC
- First Nations House of Learning (UBC)
- First Nations Technology Council
- Green College (UBC)
- Math Tutoring (UBC)
- St. John’s College (UBC)
- Sauder School of Business (UBC)
- School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies (UBC)
- SFU Continuing Health Education, Continuing Studies
- SFU Library
- Social Planning and Research Council of BC (SPARC BC)
- UBC Alumni Affairs
- UBC Bookstore
- UBC Centre for Student Involvement and Careers
- UBC Learning Exchange
- Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (VAHMS)
- Vancouver Public Library
- Writing Centre (UBC)
We are always looking for new partners – both financial and programmatic. Please contact Simon Neame (Director) if you are interested in supporting or working with the Learning Centre.