The Founding Partners
The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre owes its existence to the remarkable vision and commitment of the three founding partners: Mr. Irving K. Barber, the Province of BC, and The University of British Columbia. An example of true collaboration from its inception, the IKBLC represents what happens when passionate, engaged, and principled people combine their strengths to create something extraordinary.
All three partners continue to support the Learning Centre through strategic support and direct funding.
Important Financial Support
The Learning Centre recognizes the important contributions of its Donors:
- Kay and Lloyd Chapman, for their important contribution of the Chapman Learning Commons, the Centre’s focal point for student learning supports.
- Doctors Wally and Madeline Chung and their donation of the extraordinary Chung Collection, which is housed in the Learning Centre.
- The Sutherland Foundation, who generously supports our community engagement work, including donating to the costs of licensing the Gale Business Plans Handbook as part of the Small Business Accelerator Program.
- Suzanne Cates Dodson and Earl D. Dodson for their donation in creation of the Dodson Room.
We partner with a number of organizations, both on and off campus, to achieve the vision of the Learning Centre. Current partners include:
- First Nations Technology Council
- Vancouver Public Library
- SFU Continuing Health Education, Continuing Studies
- Social Planning and Research Council of BC (SPARC BC)
- UBC Student Development
- UBC Community Learning Initiative
- ISIS Research Centre, Sauder School of Business (UBC)
- Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (UBC)
- School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies (UBC)
- Writing Centre (UBC)
- Math Tutoring (UBC)
- First Nations House of Learning (UBC)
- Continuing Studies (UBC)
- Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (VAHMS)
- Green College (UBC)
- St. John’s College (UBC)
- UBC Bookstore
- UBC Learning Exchange
- UBC Alumni Affairs
We are always looking for new partners – both financial and programmatic. Please contact Simon Neame (Director) if you are interested in supporting or working with the Learning Centre.