The Chapman Learning Commons, located on the third floor of the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, is a collaborative and innovative learning space that brings together learners of all types--students, faculty, staff & community members--making the most of technology to support and enhance learning and teaching at UBC.
The Commons offers learning support services and programs, including
- Technology Support
- Writing support
- Study skills workshops
- Peer Academic Coaching
- Access to a variety of technologies including multimedia software and hardware
Located in the restored heritage core of the building, the Chapman Learning Commons includes space for group work, comfortable seating for individual study, and space for workshops and events.
Our friendly student staff are available at the Chapman Learning Commons Help Desk to help you with your academic, technical, and directional questions. Browse the Learning Commons website, call or stop by!
Computers & Software in the Chapman Learning Commons
Take advantage of the computer facilities in the Chapman Learning Commons (located on level 3 of the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre) which include 23 PC and 16 Mac workstations. Students, faculty and staff can access our computers with a CWL login or library barcode and pin number. Community members and public users can obtain guest access IDs from the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre circulation desk. Government issued photo ID is required for the guest access IDs.
The software available at our computer workstations is outlined below:
- PC Workstations
- The 23 PC Workstations have the following software installed:
- Mac Workstations
- Mac workstations are available on level 3 of the Chapman Learning Commons, on level 3 of Koerner Library and on level 2 of the Law Library. These Mac Workstations have the following software installed:
- In the Chapman Learning Commons, there are 6 scanners available at the Mac workstations, including an express scanning station with a ten minute time limit.
- Multimedia Mac Workstations
- The Chapman Learning Commons also offers access to 8 Multimedia Mac Workstations with additional software, including:
- There are 6 scanners available in the Chapman Learning Commons.
UBC Library currently offers scanners in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, Biomedical Branch Library, Education Library, Law Library and Woodward Library, specifically:
- 6 flatbed scanners attached to Mac workstations in the Chapman Learning Commons, including one express scanning station with a 10 minute time limit. Slide and film scanning attachments are available at the Chapman Learning Commons Help Desk.
- 1 large format flatbed scanner on level 3 of the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre Library (north wing).
- 1 flatbed scanner in the Education Library connected to a Windows computer workstation.
- 1 flatbed scanner in the Law Library connected to a Windows computer workstation.
- 1 flatbed scanner in the BMB Library connected to a Windows computer workstation.
- 1 flatbed scanner in the Woodward Library connected to a Windows computer workstation.